The Heir of King Meldh, Copyright 2004 by S.J.E. Brainerd
Kriki's Gift, Copyright 2013 by S.J.E. Brainerd

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

The Heir of King Meldh, Chapter IV, Reading 3



"At present, they have not returned to our world in body but they can use their powers to control others and make them do their bidding.  There are also traps for you to stumble upon.  It was such a trap that nearly took your life last night."
"How would they know that I would ever be in that place?"
"They didn't.  They have left many traps.  In fact, all were in place before my final battle.  The traps were keyed to my essence and in truth, I barely escaped several such ambushes.  You carry my blood and set off the trap with your very presence.  Certainly, the Ansu felt the trap being sprung and are now aware my heir is moving through the world.  You are in danger."
Flindra sighed.  "If the power of the Ansu is so immense, do I really have any hope of making it to Kewero much less defeating them?"
"There is always hope, Flindra," King Meldh answered firmly.  "The Spirit is with us so there is always hope.  Never give up.  Never."
"I won't," she pledged.
"There are pathways free of their traps.  I will tell you how to find these safe trails so you can reach Kewero.  She resides in a place the Ansu cannot reach or threaten.  In fact, they have no notion she exists because she is so protected by the Presence of the Spirit.  Once you reach her, you will be safe for the time you are with her.  You will learn things from her that will give you the power to oppose them.
"But first, I need to teach you how to reach her safely.  Let's start with my gift to you."  The King pointed to Flindra's hand.  "Look at the eagle ring on your finger - look deeply into the amethyst," he commanded.
Flindra obediently complied.  Although her body didn't actually move, in the vision of her dream she clearly examined the ring.
"I gave you this ring to grant you some safety until you come into your full power.  This ring has a name; it is called Rigga and it is a ring of power.  The power comes from you but it is focused and concentrated by Rigga.  With practice, you will be able to use Rigga to protect yourself from all but a direct attack of the Ansu.  By the time they are ready to attack you in person you will have other powers at your disposal.
"The power of the ring is activated by your thoughts.  The reality of the shield is based on the reality that you give it in your mind.  The strength of the protecting field is directly related to the clarity of your imagery.  You need to imagine yourself within the gem - surrounded by the purple.  Once you are enclosed in purple, you will be protected.
"Now, empty your mind of all things save the thought of the purple shield.  Think of nothing but the purple which is the power."
Flindra quieted her mind as best she could.  This was not easy since random thoughts kept leaping through her consciousness.  She tried to think of the purple by closing her eyes and pretending she was at the center of the gem looking out.  The darkness behind her closed eyes gradually turned from black to purple.  When she opened her eyes the purple fled from her vision.
"You are trying too hard," King Meldh whispered.  "Close your eyes and listened to your breathing.  Breathe slowly and relax."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Sal,

I love your stories and I have read them through several times. How accurate is your release date for Kewero's Keep? I'm really curious what happens to Kei. Is it your plan to always end your books as a cliff hanger?

The Storyteller said...

I would like to say that I have definitive release date, but sadly that isn't possible at this time. I will have a better idea as I approach the end of the book.

I must confess, I haven't had the chance to write as much as I usually do because of the time commitments associated with caring for my 92 year old father. God willing, that time drain will ease off so I can get back to having more time to write...and less time chasing down one crisis after another.

Thank you for sharing your love for my story. You made my day.

Sal Brainerd