The Heir of King Meldh, Copyright 2004 by S.J.E. Brainerd
Kriki's Gift, Copyright 2013 by S.J.E. Brainerd

Monday, July 17, 2017

The Heir of King Meldh, Chapter VI, Reading 4



Flindra removed her clothes and folded them neatly on top of her saddlebags, which were near the edge of the pool.  She placed her daggers on top of the pile so they would be within easy reach.  She did this out of habit and not because of any current threat.
She eased her chilled and tired body into the water.  Her toes tingled as the steaming water eased out the lingering cold.  In the warmth, she could almost forget her frozen journey here.  It was quiet and she relished the absence of the incessant howl of the wind, which had been her constant companion for the last two days.  The water soothed her soul as well as her muscles.  She relaxed in the warmth and became more than a little sleepy. 
To wake up, she got out of the water and reached in one of her saddlebags to retrieve a stiff hairbrush and a bar of Dakra's homemade soap.  She returned to the water and unbraided her hair.  The loose curls floated on the water and coiled about her.  It took her a while to brush the tangles out for she didn't want to pull too hard on her damp hair.  When Flindra could slip the brush effortlessly through her hair, she rubbed the soap in until she had a rich lather.  She then worked the lather next to her scalp and rubbed vigorously.
The scent of the soap brought back vivid memories of her mother and her home.  Her Momma had scented the soap with juniper berries and sage.  This combination had always been Flindra's favorite.  Tears welled up in her eyes as she thought of the love and kindness she had always known.
"I hope you don't miss me too much," Flindra said aloud.  She had become used to talking to herself during the long journey north.
"What did you say, my dear?" Kewero asked as she returned to the pool with a stack of clothes in her arms.
Flindra blushed with embarrassment.  "I was only talking to myself," she explained sheepishly.
"Don't be embarrassed, Flindra.  I've been alone for so many years that the only ears I've had to talk to have been my own.  Now tell me what concerns you enough to talk to yourself about it."
"I'm worried about my family, especially Momma."
"Dakra is a good woman, strong and capable.  The Spirit chose well when He selected her to be your mother.  She will miss you and will worry about you - mothers always do, you know.  We can help her though.  I will teach you how to use your crystal to give a message to her dreams."
"I can do that?" she asked in surprise.
"That and much more.  It takes a great deal of energy to establish the contact, so perhaps it would be better for you to wait until after you've rested."
"I would like to do it now, if I may.  I would like to tell her that I've made it to you safely.  Perhaps that will ease her worries."
Kewero smiled in understanding.  "I'll show you how when you are finished with your bath.  Do you mind if I keep you company?  It's nice to hear your voice."
"I don't mind at all, Kewero."
The old woman smiled as she sat on a rock at the side of the pool.
Flindra could tell that Kewero was lonely and she took pity on her.  She had learned since leaving home that loneliness was a hard burden to bear.  It made her feel a little better about imposing on Kewero's hospitality to know that she had some need for her.  Friendship would be a nice exchange for the old woman's knowledge.
"You look much like your mother," Kewero noted.  "You have your father's height and there is a little of him in your chin."
"Did you know my parents well?"
She nodded sadly.  "Yes, I looked after your mother in the same way I've seen to your care.  She was a fosterling just as you were."
Flindra looked sad.  "Why?"

No comments: