The Heir of King Meldh, Copyright 2004 by S.J.E. Brainerd
Kriki's Gift, Copyright 2013 by S.J.E. Brainerd

Monday, October 26, 2015

The Heir of King Meldh, Chapter IV, Reading 1



"Greetings, my child."
Flindra was sleeping and knew this voice was coming into her dreams.  She tried to awaken, but slipped deeper into her dream.  With a strange sense of detachment, she found herself looking at her fire and the cave she had taken refuge in.  She was aware of her sleeping self, but she was looking beyond the fire.
A man, a tall and powerfully built warrior sat beyond the flickering flames.  He rested his hand casually on the hilt of a broadsword.  There was a large ruby on the pommel of the weapon and the jewel sparkled in the firelight.  He wore chain mail and a red surcoat emblazoned with the image of a galloping white horse.  He was clean-shaven with shoulder length blond hair.  His noble features were touched with an air of resolute firmness and unquenchable courage.  He seemed to be waiting for her and his green eyes snapped with intensity as he looked at her.
Flindra struggled to come awake.
"No child," he said in a baritone voice.  "Stay asleep or my image will flee.  I am here to give you guidance."
"Who are you?" she heard her voice asking him although she hadn't spoken.  Then she realized she was listening to her own thoughts.
"I am King Meldh and you, Flindra, are my heir and the world's champion.  I am visiting your dream by the grace of the Spirit."
She gazed at her distant grandfather and was overcome with awe and profound respect.
He gave her a quick smile as if he could read her thoughts.
"How can you be here?"
"I am coming to you through your memories, my beloved child."
"My memories?  How can that be?  You have been gone from our world for a thousand years.  How could I remember you?"
"You carry memories of all those in our line.  These memories will come to you when needed which will allow you to draw upon the knowledge of those who have passed before you."
"I don't understand."
He smiled in tender amusement.  "Open your mind and heart, Flindra.  You need to take me on faith so accept this mystery and listen carefully for I must give you some information."
"What do I need to know?" Flindra asked with an air of patient discipline.
"You are being hunted by a mystical and terrifying enemy named the Ansu."
"The Ansu?  I've never heard of them."
"The Ansu are the embodiment of an ageless and endless evil and are bent on destroying life and thus the goodness of the Spirit.  You have knowledge of them buried deep within your memories for you carry my blood and know of them through me.  My army and I fought them so I know them well."  King Meldh shifted his gaze to focus on the fire and his face was touched with sorrow.  "We weren't able to defeat these monsters."  He paused for just a moment as if his memories were hurtful.  Then he looked up and drilled her with an intense stare.  "It is now up to you, Flindra, to rally the defenses of the world and bring about their end.  We need to end the suffering they have cursed us with."
His eyes became softer and were touched with fatherly worry.  "They are moving their agents into position to hunt you down, Flindra.  There are things you must learn to protect yourself against them."
"Why do they want to kill me?"

No comments: